EAST MIDLANDS SOUTH YORKSHIRE AND THE HUMBERThere are four English Hubs in our region:
- St Wilfrid’s Primary School, a Catholic Voluntary Academy in Sheffield
- Whiston Worrygoose School In Rotherham
- Witham St Hughs Academy in Lincolnshire
- Flying High English Hub in Nottingham
WHY DO ENGLISH HUBS EXIST?
All support offered by the hubs will promote the Department’s three priority areas:1. Age-appropriate phonics provision: encouraging best practice in systematic synthetic phonics teaching from school-based early years provision to the end of Key Stage 1, and as the primary reading strategy throughout the school. This includes
“English hub schools will promote a love of reading and support schools across the country to provide excellent phonics and early language teaching.”- DfE, 2018
- encouraging fidelity to a single systematic synthetic phonics programme;
- supporting the effective use of decodable books in the early stages of learning to read, as a way of establishing phonic decoding;
- supporting effective practice in formative assessment in relation to phonics/early reading.