EAST MIDLANDS SOUTH YORKSHIRE AND THE HUMBER
There are four English Hubs in our region:
- St Wilfrid’s Primary School, a Catholic Voluntary Academy in Sheffield
- Whiston Worrygoose School In Rotherham
- Witham St Hughs Academy in Lincolnshire
- Flying High English Hub in Nottingham
WHY DO ENGLISH HUBS EXIST?
“English hub schools will promote a love of reading and support schools across the country to provide excellent phonics and early language teaching.”
- DfE, 2018
All support offered by the hubs will promote the Department’s three priority areas:
1. Age-appropriate phonics provision: encouraging best practice in systematic synthetic phonics teaching from school-based early years provision to the end of Key Stage 1, and as the primary reading strategy throughout the school. This includes
- encouraging fidelity to a single systematic synthetic phonics programme;
- supporting the effective use of decodable books in the early stages of learning to read, as a way of establishing phonic decoding;
- supporting effective practice in formative assessment in relation to phonics/early reading.
2. Early language development: providing evidence-based approaches to early language development and closing the word gap in school-based early years settings, including appropriate use of formative assessment;
3. Promoting a love of reading: encouraging reading for enjoyment including by supporting whole school reading approaches, reading to children at least once a day and encouraging reading at home, developing teachers’ knowledge of appropriate children’s literature.
WHAT WILL ENGLISH HUBS OFFER?
Support in 2020-21 will include:
Each English Hub will run Showcase events from now until early spring for school leaders and teachers to see excellent early language and reading teaching in practice and to find out more about the support you may be offered. Contact you nearest Hub for details.
Assessing and offering feedback on the action plans, including assessing requests for resources.
A Literacy Specialist can carrying out an audit in schools using the audit framework provided by the Department.
Schools may be offered financial support for training and to buy resources. There will be a presumption that these resources are match funded by schools (with a cap of £3,000 per school). However, if schools meet two of the following criteria the hub will have discretion to offer outright funding at a cap of £6,000 per school:
- Phonics Screening Check score below the national average;
- Ofsted Requires Improvement or Inadequate;
- above average numbers of pupils eligible for the Pupil Premium; and/or
- the school is in an Opportunity Area
In 2019-2020, there will also be up to six days of in school support from the literacy specialists.
HOW WILL SCHOOLS BE IDENTIFIED FOR SUPPORT?
English Hubs will:
- Work with local partners including (but not limited to) Local Authorities, Regional Schools Commissioners Offices, Opportunity Area Boards, Local National Leaders of Education and Mulit-Academy Trusts to identify schools that would most benefit from support, with a focus on schools with high numbers of disadvantaged children.
- Encourage appropriate schools to apply for support, ensuring that at least 85 appropriate schools apply.
- Put in place a self-referral mechanism for schools that would like support.
- Prioritise schools for support based on a set of criteria provided by the DfE.
Each English Hub has five literacy specialists, who have received specific training to prepare them to work with the schools that they support.
ENGLISH HUBS SUPPORT MODEL
HOW CAN I CONTACT AN ENGLISH HUB?
The English Hubs will work flexibly therefore schools are not restricted to working within a specific hub. This allows for schools to work with a hub where there may be a natural connection or existing relationship.
St Wilfrid’s Primary School, a Catholic Voluntary Academy in Sheffield
Name of Hub: St Wilfrid's English Hub
Contact: Anita Bray
Telephone: 0114 2745745
Whiston Worrygoose School in Rotherham
Name of Hub: Learners First English Hub @ Whiston Worrygoose
Contact: Liz Kenny
Telephone: 01709 267021
*For more information regarding the Learners First English Hub, please visit our website.
Witham St Hughs Academy in Lincolnshire
Name of Hub: Witham St Hughs English Hub
Contact: Louise Crowther
Telephone: 01522 214459
Horsendale Primary School in Nuthall, Nottinghamshire
Name of Hub: Flying High English Hub
Contact: Carl Pattison
Telephone: 0115 989 1910