Research Schools aim to lead the way in the use of evidence-based practice and bring research closer to schools. They work with the other schools in their network to help them to make better use of evidence to inform their teaching and learning.
Kyra Research School Alliance
The Kyra Research School works with a thriving collaboration of over 50 schools in the Teaching School Alliance and regional strategic partners, working together to be ambitious for all children.
At the Kyra Research School we:
- inspire engagement, by making visible ‘what works’ and making it accessible to all practitioners
- grow capacity, through encouraging leaders and teachers at all levels to be responsible for evidence-based practice in their classroom, with support from our core practitioner team
- identify local champions, who will model and innovate in their schools and their clusters
- build partnerships, harnessing our existing networks and developing new ones across the East Midlands region
- plan for sustainability, we will create an effective team approach, where ownership and participation levels are high and sustainability is inherent
- are ambitious for children, we will develop and deliver our vision of transforming the lives of the children we serve.
Doncaster Research School
Doncaster Research School by Partners in Learning aims to lead the way in the use of evidence-based practice and bring research closer to schools. Through our existing networks we will share what we know about putting research into practice, and support schools to make better use of evidence to inform their teaching and learning so that they really make a difference in the classroom.
- Encourage schools to make use of evidence-based programmes and practices through regular communication and events.
- Provide training and professional development for senior leaders and teachers on how to improve classroom practice based on the best available evidence.
- Support schools to develop innovative ways of improving teaching and learning and provide them with the expertise to evaluate their impact.
As a Research School for the Doncaster Opportunity Area., much of our work will be developed in response to the social mobility opportunity area strategy plans. These will identify key objectives and actions to improve social mobility, diminish differences for disadvantaged pupils and ‘level up opportunity’.
Derby Research School
Derby Research School is based at Wyndham Primary Academy, an outstanding primary school serving an area of high social and economic challenge based in inner city Derby. Our transformation is characterised by being outward facing and engaged in evidence-based practice. Exploring what the research shows works best has allowed us to make a difference for our pupils in our context.
As the Derby Research School, we are keen to work actively within the Opportunity Area and shine a light on evidence to influence and inform teaching.
Our core purpose is to:
Shine a light on best practice rooted in evidence
Making it accessible for everyone
Inspire school leaders by sharing ‘what works’ to drive school improvement
Nurture evidence-based practice through training and modelling
Support schools in research-engagement to promote innovation
Brighten up the futures for children and families in Derby and make a difference
At Wyndham, we live by the value that ‘Together we aim high!’ and as the Research School for Derby, we are very proud to take a role in supporting a school led system. We will work collaboratively and in partnership with the George Spencer Teaching School Alliance and Transform Teaching Alliance together with other local teaching schools and networks. Together we will implement the best available evidence to ensure that teaching and learning across the city is the best it can be.
Our aim is to make Derby shine bright.
Huntington Research School
Huntington Research School is an exciting development and the natural next step for our school.
We have been one of the schools at the forefront of making evidence-based practice the norm in schools. As a Research School our core purpose is to:
- share and disseminate the very best of evidence-based practice to schools and teachers across Yorkshire and the Humber
- provide evidence-based training
- host conferences and events
- support schools and Teaching Schools in the region
- develop innovations that help improve practice in the classroom, so that all of our students get a great education.
We are very proud to take a role in supporting a school-led system as part of a dynamic network across the region and the country. Since 2015, we have led the Education Endowment Foundation RISE Project (Research-leads Improving Students’ Education), to work out what works to support schools to interpret and use research evidence, as well as taking part in innovative research projects, such as the King’s College London ‘Best Practice in Student Grouping’ project.
We work closely with organisations like the Institute for Effective Education and ResearchEd, alongside a range of higher education institutions and many forward-thinking schools and teachers across the United Kingdom, to support the aim of developing an evidence-based profession that sees teachers empowered by accessible tools based on research evidence.